71% of the World is Water
Children are 100% Curious
The YMCA’s Safety Around Water program can help kids learn essential water safety skills, which can open up a world of possibilities for them to satisfy their curiosity safely.
WHAT IS SAFETY AROUND WATER?
This 8-day course, taught by a certified instructor, teaches children two sets of skills that will reduce the risk of drowning and give them confidence in and around water. A typical session includes:
- Exercises to help children adjust to being in water
- Instruction in “Jump, Push, Turn, Grab” and “Swim, Float, Swim,” two skill sets children can use if they unexpectedly find themselves in the water
- An activity that teaches children about specific safety topics such as:
- General water safety, rules and local issues
- Reach or throw, don’t go
- Calling 911
- Backyard pool safety
- Pool drain safety
- Life jacket safety
- Boating safety
- Each lesson also includes a handout for parents and caregivers with additional water safety tips.